The BBC are filming something on Portobello Beach tonight – Along with the bonfire they are also playing The Doors, Light My Fire … I’m assuming it’s something to do with fire. – Probably some rubbish that will be on BBC 3 at some obscure date/time. – nevertheless they better tidy up after themselves.
a broken Groyne on Portobello Beach
A wonder wonderland or the frozen tundra of Portobello? I’ll let you decide! – here are some photos taken this morning.
The Beast From the east or Snowmageddon 2018 comes with some problems, I’m snowed in!! Nae public transportation until further notice. Its unique as Snow very rarely lies on the beach.
Today is the first day of astronomical spring, but looking outside now at 21:47 – it’s Still snowing
lets hope the weather improves soon
Taken Tuesday 20th June 2017; the penultimate longest day
Scottish Summer time, which means its probably raining.
Edinburgh has a nice beach only a few miles from the city centre. it’s nice to sit on a groyne, listen/watch the waves, or just sit with a book.
Edinburgh Summer Time, Portobello Beach.
Found in Figgate park, Edinburgh. A couple of swans and their soft wee Cygnets…
Figgate Park lies in the east of Edinburgh, nestled neatly between Duddingston and Portobello. It is almost exactly a kilometre long, west to east, from Duddingston road to Baileyfield Road, following the line of the Figgate Burn. It’s a lovely wee place full of wonderful wildlife. including Swans and their Cygnets
This started off as a bucket list, a basic list of things to do in Edinburgh, However as it grew I changed it to 101 things to do in Edinburgh. There will be some nonsense on this list, aye. perhaps I have repeated somethings, let me know add stuff to the comments. so here we are:
‘101 Things to do in Edinburgh’
- Hike up Arthurs seat – there are several routes to the summit
- Feed the swans at dunsapie loch
- In Fact hike to the top of all seven hills in Edinburgh, Braid Hills; Blackford Hills; Craiglockart Hill; Corstorphine Hill; Calton Hill; Pentland Hills and of Course Arthurs Seat.
- Walk Through Hollyrood Park
- Edinburgh Festival hardcore – three/four shows a day
- Edinburgh Festival late night show 1am – 5am (with drinks after)
- Camera Obscura World of illusions
- Edinburgh Festival Tatoo
- Edinburgh Festival Fireworks concert
- Eat A deep Fried mars bar
- Walk Through Princes Street Gardens
- have a chippie with the proper Edinburgh chippie sauce
- Eat at one of our Michelin star restaurants
- Play a game of Skittles at the Sheep’s heid pub (the oldest in Scotland c1360)
- Ghost Tours. Mercat Tours
- City of the Dead Tour
- Underground Blair Street Vaults
- Mary King’s Close
- Get Up to the crown of St Giles’ Cathedral
- See the hand carved passage ways at Gilmerton Cove
- Spit on Heart of Midlothian (old toll booth)
- Watch an Edinburgh Derby game
- Visit Edinburgh Castle
- Remember the National War museum is at the castle.
- See the One O’clock gun be fired
- Palace Of Hollyroodhouse
- Visit Lauriston Castle
- Visit Craigmillar Castle
- Visit the Scottish Parliament
- John Knox House
- An Ice Cream & Beer on Portobello Beach
- Head out to Crammon Island (be careful with the tide Times)
- Crammond Beach
- Boat trip to Inchcolm Island
- Edinburgh Zoo Penguin Parade
- Stockbridge Sunday farmers market.
- Ride the big Christmas wheel
- Ice skate Christmas wonderland
- Hogmanay Street Party.
- Royal Botanical Gardens
- Don’t Rub greyfriars bobby nose
- Wander through Greyfriars kirkyard
- If you must Rub a statue – David Hume’s Toe
- Catch a premier at the International Film Festival
- Royal highland show
- Yaught Britannia
- See Rosslyn Chapel
- Edinburgh Zoo – See the Penguin Parade
- Pet a pig at Gorgie Farm
- Ride a tram
- Our Dynamic Earth
- Cameo cinema late night double bill
- Dominian cinema – film of a sofa!
- National Museum of Scotland
- International Book Festival
- Museum of Childhood
- Museum of Edinburgh
- Museum of Flight
- Writers Museum
- Walk through the Meadows
- Walk Through Inverleith park
- Walk Through Figgatte park
- Scale the Scott Monument (287 steps)
- Scale Nelsons Monument (143 steps)
- Scottish National Galleries
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
- Sample some whisky at the scotch whisky experience
- A walk down the water of Leith walkway
- Visit Gladstone’s land – oldest 17th century tenement building
- The Writers Museum
- Look through a telescope at the Observatory
- Beltane fire festival
- Samhuinn Fire Festival
- Hogmanay Torchlight Procession
- Walk Down the colorful Victoria Street
- Drinks at the Grass market.
- Helicopter Scenic Tour
- Boat tours under The Forth Bridges
- Stadium Tours (Murrayfeild, Tynecastle and Easter Road)
- Catch a film at the Brass Monkey – Big Sofas and beer – nuf saif!
- See some anatomy at the Surgeons’ Hall Museum
- Canongate Kirkyard – Adam smith burred here
- Go to the Farmers Market, Castle Street every Saturday
- The Museum on the Mound – see £1,000,000 in front of you
- visit the City Art Center
- Climb a wall at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena – the largest indoor climbing wall in the world
- Mibee there is something on at the Royal Scottish Academy
- Didn’t know this existed until today – Georgian House on Charlotte Square
- Look at contemporary art at Fruitmarket Gallery
- Beltane Fire Festival, once a year – the evening before 1 May
- Samhuinn Fire Festival, Once a year – usually the last day of Autumn
- Torchlight procession, Once a year 30th December
- Winter wonderland, attractions and different markets
- Edinburgh Dungeon
- Check out the quirky Morningside Wild West
- Many closes of the Royal Mile, check the picturesque Whitehorse close
- Find the hidden Garden off the Royal Mile – Dunbar Close Garden
- Spend some time at Leith Shore
- Like Harry Potter? go to Elephant House Cafe
- The People’s Story Museum
So there you go 101 Things to do in Edinburgh! – I’ve probably left out some good stuff, can we expand this list – any suggestions, edits mention in the comments.
This will be the first of several, I spent a lot of my free time at the beach, so here I present to you Protobello, a Panoramic photo – one of many
The weather in Edinburgh has been really nice recently, so it got me thinking about ‘Snow’ haha 😉 The photo below was taken around 2010 during a sever winter, someone (not me) build a snow-people family on Portobello beach, the seaweed as hair was a nice touch!