a broken Groyne on Portobello Beach
Taken Wednesday evening, Portobello Beach
I love the reflection on lights reflecting off the wet sand.
taken with a iPhone, I am always impressed the quality of photo from these devices.
some, many are actually better than my ‘real’ camera, not yet a DSLR, but I’ll upgrade soon.
Just wish I was more interested way back, as I think my composition/quality has improved
looking back through old photos, I always say/think I could now do so much better.
Taken Tuesday 20th June 2017; the penultimate longest day
I took a wee wander down the beach tonight, I was treated to a beautiful sunset, so many lovely colours… Nice end to the day
Scottish Summer time, which means its probably raining.
Edinburgh has a nice beach only a few miles from the city centre. it’s nice to sit on a groyne, listen/watch the waves, or just sit with a book.
Edinburgh Summer Time, Portobello Beach.
This started off as a bucket list, a basic list of things to do in Edinburgh, However as it grew I changed it to 101 things to do in Edinburgh. There will be some nonsense on this list, aye. perhaps I have repeated somethings, let me know add stuff to the comments. so here we are:
‘101 Things to do in Edinburgh’
- Hike up Arthurs seat – there are several routes to the summit
- Feed the swans at dunsapie loch
- In Fact hike to the top of all seven hills in Edinburgh, Braid Hills; Blackford Hills; Craiglockart Hill; Corstorphine Hill; Calton Hill; Pentland Hills and of Course Arthurs Seat.
- Walk Through Hollyrood Park
- Edinburgh Festival hardcore – three/four shows a day
- Edinburgh Festival late night show 1am – 5am (with drinks after)
- Camera Obscura World of illusions
- Edinburgh Festival Tatoo
- Edinburgh Festival Fireworks concert
- Eat A deep Fried mars bar
- Walk Through Princes Street Gardens
- have a chippie with the proper Edinburgh chippie sauce
- Eat at one of our Michelin star restaurants
- Play a game of Skittles at the Sheep’s heid pub (the oldest in Scotland c1360)
- Ghost Tours. Mercat Tours
- City of the Dead Tour
- Underground Blair Street Vaults
- Mary King’s Close
- Get Up to the crown of St Giles’ Cathedral
- See the hand carved passage ways at Gilmerton Cove
- Spit on Heart of Midlothian (old toll booth)
- Watch an Edinburgh Derby game
- Visit Edinburgh Castle
- Remember the National War museum is at the castle.
- See the One O’clock gun be fired
- Palace Of Hollyroodhouse
- Visit Lauriston Castle
- Visit Craigmillar Castle
- Visit the Scottish Parliament
- John Knox House
- An Ice Cream & Beer on Portobello Beach
- Head out to Crammon Island (be careful with the tide Times)
- Crammond Beach
- Boat trip to Inchcolm Island
- Edinburgh Zoo Penguin Parade
- Stockbridge Sunday farmers market.
- Ride the big Christmas wheel
- Ice skate Christmas wonderland
- Hogmanay Street Party.
- Royal Botanical Gardens
- Don’t Rub greyfriars bobby nose
- Wander through Greyfriars kirkyard
- If you must Rub a statue – David Hume’s Toe
- Catch a premier at the International Film Festival
- Royal highland show
- Yaught Britannia
- See Rosslyn Chapel
- Edinburgh Zoo – See the Penguin Parade
- Pet a pig at Gorgie Farm
- Ride a tram
- Our Dynamic Earth
- Cameo cinema late night double bill
- Dominian cinema – film of a sofa!
- National Museum of Scotland
- International Book Festival
- Museum of Childhood
- Museum of Edinburgh
- Museum of Flight
- Writers Museum
- Walk through the Meadows
- Walk Through Inverleith park
- Walk Through Figgatte park
- Scale the Scott Monument (287 steps)
- Scale Nelsons Monument (143 steps)
- Scottish National Galleries
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
- Sample some whisky at the scotch whisky experience
- A walk down the water of Leith walkway
- Visit Gladstone’s land – oldest 17th century tenement building
- The Writers Museum
- Look through a telescope at the Observatory
- Beltane fire festival
- Samhuinn Fire Festival
- Hogmanay Torchlight Procession
- Walk Down the colorful Victoria Street
- Drinks at the Grass market.
- Helicopter Scenic Tour
- Boat tours under The Forth Bridges
- Stadium Tours (Murrayfeild, Tynecastle and Easter Road)
- Catch a film at the Brass Monkey – Big Sofas and beer – nuf saif!
- See some anatomy at the Surgeons’ Hall Museum
- Canongate Kirkyard – Adam smith burred here
- Go to the Farmers Market, Castle Street every Saturday
- The Museum on the Mound – see £1,000,000 in front of you
- visit the City Art Center
- Climb a wall at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena – the largest indoor climbing wall in the world
- Mibee there is something on at the Royal Scottish Academy
- Didn’t know this existed until today – Georgian House on Charlotte Square
- Look at contemporary art at Fruitmarket Gallery
- Beltane Fire Festival, once a year – the evening before 1 May
- Samhuinn Fire Festival, Once a year – usually the last day of Autumn
- Torchlight procession, Once a year 30th December
- Winter wonderland, attractions and different markets
- Edinburgh Dungeon
- Check out the quirky Morningside Wild West
- Many closes of the Royal Mile, check the picturesque Whitehorse close
- Find the hidden Garden off the Royal Mile – Dunbar Close Garden
- Spend some time at Leith Shore
- Like Harry Potter? go to Elephant House Cafe
- The People’s Story Museum
So there you go 101 Things to do in Edinburgh! – I’ve probably left out some good stuff, can we expand this list – any suggestions, edits mention in the comments.
The weather in Edinburgh has been really nice recently, so it got me thinking about ‘Snow’ haha 😉 The photo below was taken around 2010 during a sever winter, someone (not me) build a snow-people family on Portobello beach, the seaweed as hair was a nice touch!