Uploaded some photos from the Edinburgh Castle of light – Gallery
Category Archives: Christmas
Edinburgh Skyflyer – Finally?
Another shot of the Christmas Sky Flyer, Perhaps the last from Princes Street Gardens! As something peculiar happened this afternoon that left me somewhat bamboozled.
I was approached by two security staff, who clearly didn’t want to be there.
They Told me, ye cannae film here
Me – I’m not filming, it’s long exposure photography.
they had a somewhat confused look on their faces, after a few moments they responded with ‘Nah, you still cannae use a tripod, you must get permission from underbelly however can use the Christmas market area between the stalls’
They could not give me a reasonably answer why, that area is forbidden.
It’s all rather daft, as social media is full of similar shots – I myself have done this site 2013
it wont stop me – I’ll be back! 😉
Edinburgh Christmas 2017 – The Scott Monument and the Sky Flyer
Its that time on the year it’s perfect to experiment with long exposure photos. FIrst shot as always – the Scott Monument with the Sky Flyer.
Alas, my camera maximum is 15 seconds.. (time to upgrade ) I’ll upload more to my sites and social media over the next wee while. – constructive comments always welcome.
Edinburgh Christmas 2016 – It Starts
Well it’s that time of the year already… its flown past
so with the Christmas attractions out already, its time to experiment with some log exposure night shots… here is the Star Flyer. Bit of a scunner, I cut the top of the Scott Monument off 🙁
Sky Flyer – Edinburgh’s Christmas 2015
Night shot of the Sky Flyer Edinburgh’s Christmas attractions 2015.
Taken with a 15 second exposure, to give the corkscrew effect.
I also like the green glow at the bottom of the Scott Monument
Calton Hill – torchlight procession
Unfortunate I wont make it there tomorrow, bit of a scunner! but fortunatly for me they were testing the lights today, just miss out on the fire. here are a few pics
Balmoral Hotel from Calton Hill
A wee photo from Calton hill, we see the Balmoral Hotel looking down Princes Street with the Christmas Attractions.
A gift From Norway! 🙂
Every year since 1947 Norway has sent over a giant Norwegian spruce Christmas tree to Edinburgh, this is in gratitude and remembrance for the support during the second world war.
Similar to a photo posted last week, but this one had a 15 second exposure. – I like the corkscrew effect on it.
sky flyer edinburgh winter wonderland
101 Things to do in Edinburgh
This started off as a bucket list, a basic list of things to do in Edinburgh, However as it grew I changed it to 101 things to do in Edinburgh. There will be some nonsense on this list, aye. perhaps I have repeated somethings, let me know add stuff to the comments. so here we are:
‘101 Things to do in Edinburgh’
- Hike up Arthurs seat – there are several routes to the summit
- Feed the swans at dunsapie loch
- In Fact hike to the top of all seven hills in Edinburgh, Braid Hills; Blackford Hills; Craiglockart Hill; Corstorphine Hill; Calton Hill; Pentland Hills and of Course Arthurs Seat.
- Walk Through Hollyrood Park
- Edinburgh Festival hardcore – three/four shows a day
- Edinburgh Festival late night show 1am – 5am (with drinks after)
- Camera Obscura World of illusions
- Edinburgh Festival Tatoo
- Edinburgh Festival Fireworks concert
- Eat A deep Fried mars bar
- Walk Through Princes Street Gardens
- have a chippie with the proper Edinburgh chippie sauce
- Eat at one of our Michelin star restaurants
- Play a game of Skittles at the Sheep’s heid pub (the oldest in Scotland c1360)
- Ghost Tours. Mercat Tours
- City of the Dead Tour
- Underground Blair Street Vaults
- Mary King’s Close
- Get Up to the crown of St Giles’ Cathedral
- See the hand carved passage ways at Gilmerton Cove
- Spit on Heart of Midlothian (old toll booth)
- Watch an Edinburgh Derby game
- Visit Edinburgh Castle
- Remember the National War museum is at the castle.
- See the One O’clock gun be fired
- Palace Of Hollyroodhouse
- Visit Lauriston Castle
- Visit Craigmillar Castle
- Visit the Scottish Parliament
- John Knox House
- An Ice Cream & Beer on Portobello Beach
- Head out to Crammon Island (be careful with the tide Times)
- Crammond Beach
- Boat trip to Inchcolm Island
- Edinburgh Zoo Penguin Parade
- Stockbridge Sunday farmers market.
- Ride the big Christmas wheel
- Ice skate Christmas wonderland
- Hogmanay Street Party.
- Royal Botanical Gardens
- Don’t Rub greyfriars bobby nose
- Wander through Greyfriars kirkyard
- If you must Rub a statue – David Hume’s Toe
- Catch a premier at the International Film Festival
- Royal highland show
- Yaught Britannia
- See Rosslyn Chapel
- Edinburgh Zoo – See the Penguin Parade
- Pet a pig at Gorgie Farm
- Ride a tram
- Our Dynamic Earth
- Cameo cinema late night double bill
- Dominian cinema – film of a sofa!
- National Museum of Scotland
- International Book Festival
- Museum of Childhood
- Museum of Edinburgh
- Museum of Flight
- Writers Museum
- Walk through the Meadows
- Walk Through Inverleith park
- Walk Through Figgatte park
- Scale the Scott Monument (287 steps)
- Scale Nelsons Monument (143 steps)
- Scottish National Galleries
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
- Sample some whisky at the scotch whisky experience
- A walk down the water of Leith walkway
- Visit Gladstone’s land – oldest 17th century tenement building
- The Writers Museum
- Look through a telescope at the Observatory
- Beltane fire festival
- Samhuinn Fire Festival
- Hogmanay Torchlight Procession
- Walk Down the colorful Victoria Street
- Drinks at the Grass market.
- Helicopter Scenic Tour
- Boat tours under The Forth Bridges
- Stadium Tours (Murrayfeild, Tynecastle and Easter Road)
- Catch a film at the Brass Monkey – Big Sofas and beer – nuf saif!
- See some anatomy at the Surgeons’ Hall Museum
- Canongate Kirkyard – Adam smith burred here
- Go to the Farmers Market, Castle Street every Saturday
- The Museum on the Mound – see £1,000,000 in front of you
- visit the City Art Center
- Climb a wall at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena – the largest indoor climbing wall in the world
- Mibee there is something on at the Royal Scottish Academy
- Didn’t know this existed until today – Georgian House on Charlotte Square
- Look at contemporary art at Fruitmarket Gallery
- Beltane Fire Festival, once a year – the evening before 1 May
- Samhuinn Fire Festival, Once a year – usually the last day of Autumn
- Torchlight procession, Once a year 30th December
- Winter wonderland, attractions and different markets
- Edinburgh Dungeon
- Check out the quirky Morningside Wild West
- Many closes of the Royal Mile, check the picturesque Whitehorse close
- Find the hidden Garden off the Royal Mile – Dunbar Close Garden
- Spend some time at Leith Shore
- Like Harry Potter? go to Elephant House Cafe
- The People’s Story Museum
So there you go 101 Things to do in Edinburgh! – I’ve probably left out some good stuff, can we expand this list – any suggestions, edits mention in the comments.